It took me three seasons to finally attempt growing corn. It only made sense to grow it, since one of our main goals for having a garden is to grow as much of what we normally eat as possible. I wish I could tell you it was easy and all went great. Unfortunately, it didn’t.
But, after I learned from some key mistakes and took simple steps to overcome the challenges, corn is one of the most rewarding crops I grow.
In this episode of the Beginner’s Garden Podcast, my goal is to help YOU skip the mistakes I made and go straight to reaping the benefit of a wonderful corn harvest. I talk about:
- How much you need to plant for a good harvest.
- Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) and how growing your own corn will help you avoid them.
- The differences between hybrid and GMO seed.
- What variety I’ve had the most success with.
- How to prepare your soil for planting.
- My biggest challenge and how I overcame it.
- How to know when it is ready to harvest.
- Two other problems I’ve had and how I overcame them.
Facebook Live video showing the corn earworm and how to know if your corn is affected. (starts at minute 2:30)
Do you get overwhelmed with garden planning?
Subscribe here for my best tips to plan your garden in just 7 days -- all for FREE.
Plus, I'll send you my "In the Garden E-mail" on Fridays, periodic updates on garden resources relevant to you, and you'll receive access to my entire bank of free garden downloads!