I can vividly remember my very first year as a gardener desperately searching for gardening resources and podcasts. Sadly I didn’t find many that helped me at the most basic level I needed. But there was one I listened to faithfully, and that was the Pioneering Today Podcast by Melissa K. Norris.
Melissa and I connected through a faith-based site, Faith Happenings, where we both contributed devotionals, and I quickly learned that we had more than our faith in common. She was an experienced gardener, homesteader, and expert canner, and I learned so much from her through her podcast and her blog at melissaknorris.com.
Four years later, I not only consider her a valuable resource but also a friend, and I look forward to the day we finally get to meet in person. But until then, I’m so grateful that she joined me on The Beginner’s Garden podcast. This episode is full of great tips and ideas for gardeners of all skill levels and you’ll want to make a point to listen from beginning until the end. But in case you’re short on time today and want to catch the highlights, here is where we talk specific topics:
- 13:53 – Don’t miss the story of Melissa’s “famous” pole beans. We talk for over 10 minutes just on growing beans!
- 18:15 – tips to make your green beans more tasty when you cook them
- 21:08 – what is happening when your beans suddenly stop producing in the summer
- 22:12 – will different varieties of beans cross-pollinate? And when it matters.
- 27:00 – Find out how Melissa keeps pests and weeds under control in her natural garden without using insecticides and herbicides.
- 30:00 – how she deals with slugs
- 31:00 – her trick to eradicate unwanted weeds
- 35:00 – Listen to Melissa’s answers to the most common garden questions she receives:
- Where do I start?
- What if I don’t have enough land for a garden?
- 37:25 – If Melissa had to choose only 3 crops to grow in her garden, which would they be?
- 39:45 – Discover what Melissa has found to be the most common misconception in home gardening
And those are just the highlights! You won’t want to miss a single word Melissa shares today. Click below to listen.
Melissa’s blog (melissaknorris.com inspiring your faith and pioneer roots)
Pioneering Today Podcast: click here
Pioneering Today Academy: http://melissaknorris.com/pioneeringtodayacademy/
Melissa’s Book: The Made from Scratch Life (affiliate link)
BONUSES: After you purchase The Made from Scratch Life, head here and enter your Amazon receipt number to receive The Made-From-Scratch Life Workbook, a 5 Day Bonus Fast Track e-course, and The Amish Canning Cookbook Sampler.
(As I shared in the episode, I loved Melissa’s book and her bonuses are just as helpful!)
Subscribe to Journey with Jill in the Garden for my best tips to plan your garden! Plus I'll send you my printable Monthly Task Organizer, Vegetable & Fruit Planner, and Garden Fresh Recipes cookbook for free.